Why You Should Maintain Daily intake
Nutrients – The nutrients found in all foods and drinks provide nourishment for the body. Calculating our daily intake makes us healthy living. Some of the intake we need to take care are as follows:
- Substances which provide energy
- Building blocks for bone, muscle, organs, hormones and blood
- Substances needed for processes to occur in the body (like digestion)
- Substances that protect the body
Nutrients are drawn from a wide variety of foods and the more varied our diet, the more likely we are to obtain all the nutrients we need.
- Energy is required to fuel body processes (metabolism) and physical activity. If we consume more energy than we use for metabolism and physical activity, the excess is stored as body fat. We need to be sure to balance the energy we consume through foods with the energy we spend during the day. The more active we are the more energy we need and vice versa.
- Fat contributes to energy intake and helps to absorb vital vitamins; therefore a healthy diet should always contain a certain amount of fat. The two main forms of fat are saturated, from animal sources and unsaturated from vegetable sources.
- Carbohydrates are the main source of energy that fuels our body and everything it does, even thinking.
Daily Intake Guide: Healthy Eating, Made Easy. Front-of-pack Labelling for Food and Drink in Australia. – Nutrients.” Daily Intake Guide: Healthy Eating, Made Easy. Front-of-pack Labelling for Food and Drink in Australia. – How to Read DIG. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Nov. 2016.